Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sweet Liberty

“Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace--but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death.” – Patrick Henry

Tomorrow our nation will celebrate Independence Day; our national birthday. 235 years old. We should often be reminded how fortunate we are to live in this great country. We've got all the best food:  hamburgers, hotdogs, pizzas, and Chinese buffets. We have so much freedom in America we can hardly tolerate ourselves. The funny thing is that all of us are slaves.

We have tasted the bitterness of slavery whether we are aware of it or not. Though it isn’t a physical bondage it definitely is a spiritual one.

Think back to the life you had before Christ or the life you're living right now. What was it really like? What benefits did you reap from the things you might now be ashamed of?

In this world people will struggle to keep from coming under the will of God even though they can find their true freedom and independence there. They will still dislike, even despise, those who so gladly submit to God’s will.

So what is the appropriate way to celebrate Independence Day? By getting drunk, firing off fireworks and guns? Gorging ourselves on barbequed whatever? How about this; why don’t we celebrate the independence of our “one nation” by staying “under God”?

“So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” - John 8:36

Never has there been a more true statement. Never has there been a more comforting statement. When Christ has freed you there is no force in this world that can take that away from you. When Christ has freed you, it is of little matter where you live, or how well or poorly you live. When Christ has freed you the things of this world become less and less important.

You can lock me up but I can be as happy as I choose wherever I am. You cannot jail my spirit. You can kill those I love, but in Christ, we will reunite. You can kill me, but in Christ I can even find comfort there. Who cares if I am in jail when heaven awaits me? Why should I be depressed about a body that is slowly getting weaker and older when there is a new one that awaits me? Why should I fret about money when I shall have everything I need and more in my next life?

I am one man, under God, indivisible, filled with liberty and justice that is available to all through the freedom in Jesus Christ. Such sweet liberty.

No comments: