Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

Harold Camping has gotten a lot of attention lately. In case you have no idea what I'm talking about Harold Camping "prophesied" that the rapture would occur May 21st, 2011 at 5:59 PM. Since I am posting this at 11:50ish AM on May 25, 2011 you can logically assume that the rapture didn't take place.

This isn't about refuting some persons prophecy. This is a legitimate plea from my heart to all who may read this not to get caught up in the mockery of Harold Camping. This man has done more damage to undermine the truth that Jesus is going to be returning to take His bride (the church) to heaven than anyone in my lifetime. The mockery that even I have made (my Facebook status: It's May 22nd and we're all still here...AWWKWARRRRRD) about Harold Camping's prediction has cast a dim light on that truth.

2 Peter 3:3-18 tells of the End Times and mentions two types of ignorance.

The first is mentioned in verses 3 & 4. They are people who scoff at His coming. Their statement is "Where is this 'coming' He promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." These type of people don't even realize how ridiculous that argument is. In a message entitled Live For the Moment, Francis Chan says :

It's like saying, "Ok really, I'm going to die? I've never died. I've never experienced this so why would you say I'm going to die someday. Everyday I wake up. Every single day I wake up and you're going to tell me one day I'm not going to?" That's just like these scoffers argument "Come on the earth is going to end. It's never ended." Duh, it only ends once.
Verse 5-7 says that these people don't get that God did create the world at one point and that this same God will cause it to end at a point.

The second type of ignorance, the kind that plagues Harold Camping, distorts the truth because they are "ignorant and unstable" (vs 16). They do things for their name to be in lights and line their pockets with the wealth of others. They lead many people away from the truth because of their lies and cause callousness in the hearts of others to the real truth.

The first type of fool really just poisons his own mind with his declaration of disbelief. The second however, poisons others.

How easy it is to fall away and be deceived if we don't search scripture ourselves. How sad it is for those who listen to the prophecies of mankind and forsake God's own Word.

DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID. Read God's Word to find out God's plan. And most importantly "make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with Him." (vs 14)

No comments: