Friday, May 6, 2011

What's The Point

For the last ten to fifteen years, I would say, there has been a tremendous focus from the church to "Love Thy Neighbor". I happen to be a firm believer in the idea that the world doesn't care how much you know until it knows how much you care. Also, that you have to earn the right to speak into a persons life.With these core thoughts compassion ministries are being birthed.

Specially in America you can see compassion ministries popping up everywhere now. If you Googled those words approximately 2.8 million sites would be listed. They are all meant for a great purpose; to put an end to the suffering of people at home and abroad. Which I think strums at the heart strings of God.

When these ministries go out to do their good without bringing along with them the good news of the gospel they are just doing charity work.

What's the point if we save a person from hell on earth but don't try to save them from hell for eternity?

We do great in the church to love God. We're doing better at showing love in our communities. The problem is that we're not mixing the two. There has to be this melting pot of our inward devotion to God that resounds while I show compassion to my neighbor.

We have to do more than pass out water bottles that say "Jesus is the Living Water" if we really want to show Christ in our efforts. I think Paul stated it best:

1 Corinthians 9:19-23
Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

No comments: