Monday, January 17, 2011

A Panoramic View

A couple of weeks ago I was on my way to work at UPS at 3:30 AM. It has been fairly chilly here in Alaska which I think is out of character. So there were some icy spots on the road.

I was less than a mile from the building as I came to this left curve. As I turned with the road my jeep decided to go adjacent to the road. So now I am facing at a 90 degree angle to the left with my car sliding right and my blood pressure rising. I took my foot off the gas and cranked my steering wheel to the right.

In that process I spun around now adjacent at about a 90 degree angle to the road facing right and sliding left. Now I'm cranking the steering wheel to the left. My blood pressure is soaring as I see the oncoming ditch or steel barricade that is in my immediate future.

At this point I just said, "Jesus". It had the tone of taking His name in vain but He knew it was a cry for help. Before I got too close to the side of the road I was able to get my jeep facing in the correct direction and headed on to work.

You know how they say when you have a near death experience or something traumatic happen your LIFE flashes before your eyes. It's not true if you're married. My WIFE flashed before my eyes. And I wondered how am I going to explain this. I could hear all the questions coming from her: "Are you ok?" "How did this happen?" "Were you speeding?" (which I wasn't) "How are we going to pay for the repairs?" I wasn't the only person who had trouble that morning. I was fortunate not to be one of the many who needed a tow truck to come to their rescue.

Needless to say when I arrived at work I was wide awake. I'm glad I got to see a panoramic view that day but from now on I'll only do that outside of my jeep.

No comments: